MAPFRE implements its environmental actions as per the guidelines defined in the triple Integrated Environmental, Energy and Carbon Footprint Management System, designed in accordance with ISO 14001, ISO 50001 and ISO 14064 international standards. This is the common framework for managing environmental and energy aspects as well as greenhouse gas emissions.
This model allows MAPFRE to objectively advance along the continuous improvement process required by the System and verified by external certification audits.
- Environmental Certificates
- Strategic Environmental Model Coverage
The consolidation of the Integrated System and its progress over the years ensures success of the triple management system operations. Its transversal design and the global nature of its corporate processes enables a faster, more efficient implementation of this system in all Group activities across the different countries in which we operate.
The strategic context is analyzed before the countries are selected and the environmental actions are launched, since a comprehensive risk analysis is required to guarantee the success of the project and its future progress.
The global strategy framework and model for the company's initiatives with regard to Security and the Environment are included in the Group's Security and Environment Master Plan. It is adapted to the MAPFRE's business and organizational development, taking into account the socio-economic circumstances and changing threats, as well as the legal requirements in the countries in which the company operates.
The following expansion of our Environmental Strategic Model is planned for 2020:
- The objective for the expansion of the Environmental Management System under ISO 14001 is to achieve certification in 14 countries in 2020, which would involve 75% of the total premium volume of the Group.
- The goal for the expansion of the Energy Management System under ISO 50001 is to achieve certification for 23 main offices in 2020, which would involve 38% of the total energy consumed by the Group.
- The objective for the expansion of the calculation of the Environmental Footprint under ISO 14064 in 2020 is to verify emissions in 13 countries in 2020, which would involve 74% of the total premium volume of the Group.
|Strategic Environmental Model Coverage||2017|
|Percentage of premiums with Environmental Certification||59.96%|
|Employees under environmental management certification (ISO 14001)||11,369|
|Countries under environmental management certification (ISO 14001)||9|
|Employees under carbon footprint certification (ISO 14064)||12,701|
|Countries under carbon footprint certification (ISO 14064)||4|
|Employees under energy management certification (ISO 50001)||4,885|
|Buildings under energy management certification (ISO 50001)||14|
|Energy under energy management certification (ISO 50001) (GWh)||18.8|
|Environmental audits of assets||Measurement||2017||2016||2015|
|Environmental diagnostics and monitoring||Units||9||84||11|
|Internal environmental audits||Units||44||47||41|
|Environmental audits for certification||Units||36||19||26|
|Percentage of assets subject to environmental controls||Percentage||31.26||28.61||25.04|