At MAPFRE, we are concerned about the environmental footprint left by our activities and we understand that we need to promote and foster an environmental culture beyond the labor environment in order to be sustainable over the long term.
Environmental initiatives and campaigns
- Worldwide participation in Earth Hour since 2009 by turning off the lights at MAPFRE’s flagship buildings around the world.
- “Everybody united for the environment” initiative, which got 1,600 volunteers from 25 countries involved in 58 different environmental activities, including reforestation, beach and shoreline clean-ups and work to improve public infrastructure. In total, upwards of 1,700 trees have been planted and more than 35 tons of garbage collected.
- Over 18,055 employees have now received environmental training.
- Fostering sustainable mobility by installing recharging points in buildings for electric vehicles, providing roadside assistance for electric vehicles, offering collective transport for employees to get to work, training eco-experts, etc.
- MAPFRE Colombia received the Insurance Industry Corporate Eco-efficiency Award from the Colombian Federation of Insurers (Fasecolda) and also the Green Latin America Award for its project “Sustainable Insurer, closing the vehicle accident cycle”.
- Championing green entrepreneurship by sponsoring Green Weekends.
- Protecting biodiversity through partnership agreements with the WWF, Oceana and various organizations in other countries through actions and projects that include forestation, beach clean-up, protection of protected species, etc.
- Annual collaboration with WWF SPAIN in conserving biological diversity, getting employees to choose the species and habitat to protect each year.
- “100 Companies for the Forests” campaign, to help protect biodiversity and regenerate plantlife at the Doñana Nature Reserve.
- In 2018, the MAPFRE Boat took part in the Volvo Ocean Race, joining the United Nations #CleanSeas campaign under the slogan “Turn the Tide on Plastic”. Under this initiative, MAPFRE aims to gradually eliminate the use of plastic bottles at its offices and buildings in Spain and other countries.