Social Responsibility Policy
MAPFRE's commitment is based on our Corporate Social Responsibility Policy, which allows us to attain our strategic objectives by incorporating our values in all the projects we develop. It is also of assistance in managing business risks and opportunities, thereby assuming the impact our activity generates on the surrounding environment.
The objective of this policy is to ensure that Corporate Social Responsibility is perceived as a way of:
- Achieving MAPFRE's business interests and its strategic objectives.
- Managing the company from the viewpoint of the values defined by MAPFRE.
- Establishing stable and equitable relationships with stakeholders, mainly those included in the mission statement.
- Managing the risk and business opportunities deriving from the development of the environment in which MAPFRE carries out its business activity, assuming the impact it generates on society and the environment, maximizing the positives and minimizing the negatives.
- Transmitting the company's social value in each territory, reconciling the value of its operational activities with the value of the not-for-profit activities it carries out.
This tool reconciles MAPFRE's social interest with that of our stakeholders: -shareholders, employees, providers, distributors, clients and society as a whole, while transmitting that the value developed by our group's business activity goes hand-in-hand with the non-profit activities it carries out in each territory. To achieve this, we have established nine general principles of action and another six specific principles for each stakeholder, details of which can be found in our Corporate Social Responsibility Policy:
Our Corporate Social Responsibility Policy is a reference framework from which any MAPFRE Group company can develop and strengthen socially responsible behavior, locally adapting any initiatives that are necessary for compliance purposes, regardless of whether it focuses on conventional or digital business.
Its application and monitoring and control of its activities are supervised by the Group's Sustainability Committee, a permanent internal body provided with executive responsibilities and information, consultancy and proposal faculties within its scope of action. This Committee, whose secretary position is held by the Group’s Sustainability management, reports to MAPFRE’s Board of Directors, the Steering Committee or the Executive Committee, as corresponds. The position of Committee Chairman is held by a member of MAPFRE’s Executive Committee, which oversees the Group’s Sustainability Department.
MAPFRE understands that sustainability is transversal throughout the organization. For this reason, key departments are involved in sustainable development, such as Human Resources, External Relations, Safety and Environment, General Counsel, Investments, Businesses and Clients, Risks and specific businesses, such as reinsurance, among others.